Sunday, August 8, 2010

The reality check weekend: Thirteenth Floor, The Matrix and Blade Runner

In my first blog, I wrote that I was too young when I saw Blade Runner. I think you need to be old enough to look beyond the dialogue and pictures on the screen to see what is actually happening. But how difficult is it going to be to keep my kids away from this movie when it is such a classic? And how best to introduce it?

And then it hit me. Use Blade Runner as the climax to a weekend of films that challenge our idea of reality; the Reality Check Weekend.

First things first, how old should you be to see Blade Runner? I think if you can read a Philip K. Dick story, you're old enough. Personally, I would start with Second Variety or We Can Remember it For You Wholesale. Simple plot, easy to read and both have been turned into films. Maybe I could add Screamers and Total Recall to the list as an introduction...

I would think that a fifteen year old would be able to handle this series. Maybe even thirteen. You might think this is a bit too young. I agree. But I live in the real world and I know that some of my boys' classmates will have already seen these films by then. So to avoid the inevitable, I intend to show Blade Runner a little earlier than I would normally by introducing it in the context of The Matrix and Thirteenth Floor.

If you haven't seen Thirteenth Floor, don't worry. It's not a great film and it explores some of the same territory as The Matrix. I'd be willing to try a different film, but I can't think of anything better. You might suggest Total Recall. I find Paul Verhoven's films lacking in a certain polish, his special effects look like special effects and his treatment of Wholesale is woeful. I would be happy to add Recall to the Reality Check Weekend, but I would not be keen on letting it stand next to The Matrix and Blade Runner. You might also suggest Minority Report.... There's a moment where you could go back and ask if what is we are seeing is real or not, but it is fleeting and more of a P.K. Dick signature than an exploration of a theme.

There's also, The Island, Paycheck and Existenz... But all of them tend to leave the thinking behind and focus more on the loud bangs and chase scenes. Give me the thinking any day.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear your thoughts. I have about 10 years before I'll be running this as a weekend event, so I'll be keen on finding out if anyone else has done this sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment